Travel to Canada without a PR Card
If you are a Canadian Permanent Resident, you need a PR Card to prove your status when travelling back to Canada on a commercial carrier (i.e. airline, cruise-ship, train, bus). If you don’t have a PR Card, may not be allowed to board the plane, boat, train or bus that is taking you back to Canada (especially if your nationality requires a visa to come to Canada).
To fix this, you can get a Permanent Resident Travel Document, a one-time use pass that lets you travel back to Canada to resume your residence.
Get back to Canada and maintain your status.
- Permanent Resident Travel Document
- Application reviewed for completeness and instructions given to you for how to submit it to the visa office or VAC
- Supervision by a Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC)
Includes IMMIgroup fee, HST
Follow the easy 6-step process to renew your Permanent Resident Card
- Download the application
Please complete the order form and application forms included herein. Make sure to include your telephone number and email address where you can be contacted.
- Fax or email in your application
Fax or scan and email all forms and documents in the document checklist to our office for review at 416-640-2650 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We Will Contact You
You will be contacted within 1-2 business days regarding your application.
If you have not been contacted after 2 business days, please contact our office at 1-866-760-2623 to confirm we have received your order. We’ll help you write your letter.
- Submit Your Application
You will have to submit your application in person to a Visa Application Centre.
- Attend Your Interview
In some cases, you will be required to attend an interview at the nearest visa office. Usually you will only be asked to attend an interview if there are concerns regarding your residence in Canada.
- Receive your Travel Document
Your Travel Document will be mailed to the address listed on the application you submitted.
Timeline: How long does it take?
The processing time depends on the visa office. Because travel documents are only issued in special cases, there is no average processing time publicly available.
Submitting your application to a Visa Application Centre – now mandatory in most cases – adds to the processing time.
To find out the approximate processing time for your Travel Document, contact your visa office.
Why You Need a Permanent Resident Travel Document
What You Cannot Use Your PR Travel Document for
- You cannot use your Travel Document more than once.
- You cannot use your Travel Document to prove your status in Canada.
- You cannot use your Travel Document past its expiry date.
What You Can Use Your Permanent Resident Travel Document for
- Travelling to Canada once on any commercial carrier, such as a plan, cruise ship, train or bus.
- Proving your status in Canada to the CBSA officer at the border.
Do I need a PRTD if I am abroad without a PR Card?
If you are a Canadian Permanent Resident, you are not in Canada, and you do not have a PR Card or it is expired, you may need a Travel Document to return to Canada. There are a couple of exceptions:
- If you are in the United States of America, and can drive to Canada (or you can otherwise travel to Canada in a private vehicle), you do not need a PR Card to come back to Canada. (You will need your Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence, and you can expect a lecture.)
- If your nationality does not require a visa, you can travel to Canada without a PR Card. However, as of March 16, 2016, you will need an eTA to travel to Canada without your PR Card.
Can I get my PRTD urgently?
No, there is no way to get a Permanent Resident Travel Document urgently. It will be processed by the visa office as soon as they can.
Why choose us?
- We have filed more than 1,000 Permanent Resident Card renewals and replacements.
- We have handled every conceivable type of issue with Canadian Permanent Residents stuck outside of Canada.
- IMMIgroup’s success depends on our people. Our firm can only prosper and grow when we continually improve ourselves and the service we perform. However, we recognize that success is not measured only by the number of applications approved. We are measured as much by the way in which we achieve our goals as we are by the actual achievements themselves. We believe that an uncompromising commitment to values and integrity is integral to the goals we hope to achieve.
IMMIgroup’s core values:
- Accuracy and Efficiency
- Customer Service
- Ethical Behaviour and Privacy
Get Back to Canada with a Travel Document
A PRTD will let you travel back to Canada and resume your residence.
We’ll review your application for accuracy and completeness and guide you through the application process.